Target Stores’ Investigation Unit
- Category: Uncensored News
- Published on Tuesday, 07 August 2012 17:50
The first Target store opened in the U.S. in 1962. Today, there are over 1,700 locations throughout the United States…Target found itself having to investigate things like slip-and-falls, shoplifting, theft by employees, and the like. To do so, they created a centralized investigation unit in their Minneapolis, Minnesota headquarters.
Over time, this unit became more and more advanced. Today, it and a sibling outfit in Las Vegas are, combined, one of the more sophisticated crime labs out there, as described by Forbes. And even that may be an understatement. In 2006, an FBI agent familiar with the labs told the Washington Post that “[o]ne of the nation’s top forensics labs is located at Target’s headquarters building in downtown Minneapolis. They have abilities and technology that far surpasses many law enforcement agencies in the country.”
Target shares their facilities and abilities. About 70% of the labs’ work is for Target. The other 30% of its time is donated by the corporation to law enforcement under the moniker “Target Forensic Services.” Its specialty is in closed-circuit and surveillance video — they have the technology to enhance it and the people who work there have the experience to know what to look for and where.